Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Day 3: Meat of the Sea

Today was my first taste of the meats provided by Mother Ocean. Before I'd begin, I'd like to ruminate (for just 3 lines) about what meat of the sea is. Do they include crocodiles? Why do they make it so hard to enjoy the crab meat in crab legs? How come the eyes are so scary?

Be that it may, sea animals are the reason I am not ripping off my meat-prescribed retainer and going nuts at the local fogo's. Instead, I sat down with some friends at a civilized meal in Marina del Ray at Sugarfish, an omakase tasting menu which included about 5 types of sashimi, 2 hand rolls, and the like.

First our starter - tuna sashimi lightly dipped in ponzu sauce: A solid first
choice - nothing too special about this first one, but always delights the
palate before moving onto the serious stuff.


5 different types of fish, served sparsely on dishes that whisked to and fro; the speed of the service was incredible. Here is the halibut and yellowtail:

May I just say that the fish literally melted (like the bubbly foam that trickles down a cold beer on a Sunday afternoon) on my tongue. I could have happily eaten about 40 slices of that sashimi, man v. food style. To be sure, one of the best omakase I have had ever.


Ended the meal with two hand rolls; crab and tuna. Nothing too special, but the nori was crispy and we can always be grateful for that.

To top off our great meal, we decided to troop over the local Yogurtworld. Now, as a Korean and resident of NYC for 3 years, I always considered myself quite the yogurt lover. Seasons aside, one could find me at the local Pinkberry and Red Mango sucking down some tartness with all the fixins' about 3 times a week.

Seriously.

However, when I moved to California, one of the greatest finds had escaped me. Welcome to Yogurtworld, the place where there are not 1, 2, but TWELVE types of yogurt flavors (that rotate every day and include such decadent labels as Vanilla Wafers Cookies and Cream) and weighs you in by the ounce (not by toppings). See below for such an example:
That, friends, is a 3 layer yogurt trio (Original, Pomegranate Rasberry, and Vanilla Wafers) smothered in strawberries, mangos, mochi, nerds, chocolate chips, and sour gummy worms.

All for $2.50.

(There was about a 10 minute pause as I longingly stared at my screen trying to scrounge up that last gummy worm taste from last night)

Anyways, I'm feeling good.. it's hump day and I'm ready for my next meal. Until next time..

No comments:

Post a Comment